How To Plan A Fly Fishing Trip With Your Buddies
Fly fishing can be a lot of fun, but only if you plan accordingly. Poor planning is one of the best ways to not have a great time. There is a good chance that you have been looking forward to this trip for a long time. Moreover, you are probably going to be spending your hard earned money on your fly fishing vacation. If you don’t take the necessary steps to plan your trip – from start to finish – you may go home unhappy and unsatisfied. Fortunately, planning a fly fishing trip is not rocket science – all you really need to know is that shelter and gear are the most important factors. If you don’t have the right gear and if you don’t have the right shelter, it will be difficult to have a good time on your vacation. Here is how to plan a fly fishing trip with your buddies.
- Make sure that you have your lodging accommodations down – there is a good chance that you don’t want to share a room, so you want to find a hotel or lodge that offers spacious rooms at a relatively decent rate. Moreover, you want to make sure that you find accommodations that are close to the area where you are fishing.
- Make sure that you choose the right destination – some locations may not have the most fish during a particular season. This is exactly why you want to do your research before you head out. When it comes down to it, some rivers may have fish in one part of the river, but not another. You can usually go online and do this research.
- Make sure that you have the right gear – you can usually visit a retailer like Delta Net & Twine to pick all the gear you need for your fly fishing excursion. Of course, you will need a rod and reel, but you will also need particular flies for the type of fish you are catching. This is another reason why you want to do your research – the last thing you want is to purchase the wrong fly for the type of fish you are catching.
- Make sure that you bring plenty of sunblock and bug spray – your trip won’t be very fun if you are a mosquito magnet or get back to your hotel and have second degree burns. You can usually pick up these supplies at your local drug store.
- Make sure you bring the right clothing – typically, you will need light clothing for the daytime and some heavier clothing for the evening. If you are fishing in a more northern region, you may want to bring something heavier, like a coat or windbreaker. When it comes down to it, you may be fishing in the winter and need thick winter gear to keep you protected. In the end, not only do you want to be safe – you also want to be comfortable, because if you aren’t comfortable, your trip will not be very exciting.
Tags: fly fishing vacation