Your Guide To Treating A Cracked Windshield In Winter
Seasonal changes have a significant effect on everything, right from the roads to the car that you drive. As temperatures fall down considerably, driving becomes gradually difficult in the winter months, thanks to the drop in visibility due to fog. In hilly areas, the roads also become slippery, and it goes without saying that you need to more careful behind the wheel. Another very important thing to be wary of is the condition of the car and its many components, like windshield. In the event that yours is broken or chipped slightly, it is advised to repair cracked windshield before the winter becomes too extreme.
There are many reasons which point to why you can’t take windshield damage lightly during the winter.
1. With winter already making the roads trickier to navigate, a broken windshield can worsen any accident to your car. A windshield is the first protective barrier in collisions since it is not meant to disintegrate into sharp pieces on impact. However, a cracked windshield won’t offer you any protection at all.
2. Another disadvantage of driving around with a cracked windshield in the winter is that your car won’t be insulated due cold air rushing inside from any opening.
3. Also, research shows that rollovers are the most common type of car accidents in the winter months, and in 20% of the cases, prove to be fatal. If you already have a damaged windshield, such an accident will be brutally exacerbated since the windshield won’t be able to provide any structural resistance against impact. The same thing can also be said of head-on collisions.
4. Moreover, regular heating and cooling of the windshield in winter can weaken its structure.
All these issues highlight that you need to provide proper maintenance and care for your car windshield in the winters, and repair car glass crack immediately. Here are a few tips for the same:
1. If you’re living in extremely cold areas, then there’s a possibility that the windshield washer fluid might freeze. Mix it with specified amounts of antifreeze for proper functioning.
2. Keep the windshield extremely clean, and don’t let dirt enter any cracks or crevices.
3. Try and park your car inside a garage or a closed area to protect the windshield from the tough environmental conditions and the cold.
4. Repair the minor cracks and chips on the surface of the windshield with the help of dedicated professionals. In case you are not able to identify the severity of the damage, then don’t hesitate to take the help of experts.
5. If the windshield is damaged beyond repair, do not make-do with temporary repairs. It is always recommended that you visit the best car repair service providers that will carry out proper windshield replacement and installation.